Thursday, August 24, 2006

Meatballs: I Miss You!

Was im’ing w/ Dave K this morning about nothing much at all. He asked where he should go to lunch, and we made a mutual decision of Greek Deli. Well actually I’m not so sure he did in fact go there. Dave K, did you go to Greek Deli? Oh, PS – Greek Deli is this fantastic place that’s around 18th and M in NW DC (am I way off here? Is my memory of DC geo already failing me) and it’s kind of Soup Nazi style, and you wait in the 100 degree heat sweating in your work clothes in this big ass line so you can get a $7 styro box full of like 5 pounds of food, including 3 mongo meatballs, salad spruced w/ feta, and marvelous orzo pasta. Actually you can get other stuff but who cares it’s all irrelevant to me save for those tasty meatball treats.

But anyway, I sure do miss those meatballs. See the thing, in DC, and actually in any big urban working neighborhood, you have this mecca of delish dining at you beck and call. Every lunch is a virtual food adventure. It’s like, “Hmm, what shall I eat today? Shall I go big time and hit up Morton’s*? Shall I have some Indian veggie delights from Karma? Shall I go delicious stuff full sandwich at the local pita shop? Corner Bakery? ” It’s a smorgasbord, and it’s all within close walking distance.

So I had that going for me three years, which was nice. And now where I am. I’m in randoid coastal but still inland surburban SoCal city. At lunch time, it’s like, “shall I have the special at MJ’s café downstairs? Shall I drive 5 minutes to Arby’s? Shall I go big time and hit up…Chili’s??” Umm, so I pretty much bring my lunch, all things considered. It bums me out. I don’t know if I can work in the burbs. And it pretty much boils down to the food options.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. I am mondo happy today though cuz it’s a four day week. Heading to LA tonight and flying out tomorrow home to IN for a wedding. And guess what. Despite the fact that I’ll have minimal clothing, guess I know now that I can’t carry my bag on if I want to arrive w/ my toiletries intact. Oh, and I have to remove my lip gloss from my purse. At least I only have like 2 now as I have yet to receive the collection that I had to mail home to myself.

*I like really never did that unless the company was paying.

No comments: